“Like apples of gold in settings of silver is a ruling rightly given.” (New International Version of Proverbs 25:11)
The language of the citizenry in a country is, often, a mirror of the culture and civilization of that society. What words are said publicly and regularly now that were not accepted just a few years ago? Language changes with time and cultural acceptance. Do our words today give us this beautiful image as depicted in Proverbs 25:11?
“A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver.” (Revised Standard Version of Proverbs 25:11)
When we think of the word choices used in our society today and what may be regarded as “fit” for the occasion, what “word” do we visualize in our minds or “hear” in our thoughts? Does it come from a television character, a news moderator, a commercial, a celebrity, our next-door neighbor, a colleague, a spouse, our best friend, a politician? Does the word fit the image described in Proverbs 25:11?
“The right word at the right time is like a custom-made piece of jewelry…”(The Message translation for Proverbs 25:11)
Custom-made. Just for you. Just for me. We can go online and find words to copy and paste that might seem like the right words for the occasion. But they are not custom-made just for you and just for me. Only God can give us THE right word at THE right moment, custom-made.
1) Luke 21:15 “For I will give you words and wisdom that none of your adversaries will be able to resist or contradict.”
2) Psalm 141:3 “Set a guard over my mouth, Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips.”
3) 2 Timothy 2:14-15 “ 14 Keep reminding God’s people of these things. Warn them before God against quarreling about words; it is of no value, and only ruins those who listen. 15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. “
4) I Peter 4: 10-11 “10 Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. 11 If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. “
5) Colossians 4:6 Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.
Our words speak much about us–as a people, as a society, as a culture. Our words speak much about us-as individuals. Our words speak much about us- to our children and our grandchildren. Our words speak much about us-to all those with whom we engage in conversation, discussion, or debate. Where do we turn to find the words we should speak? Only God can give us “a word fitly spoken” that evokes an image of “apples of gold in a setting of silver.”
Let us turn to the Creator of everything to know what to say and how to say it with thought, with grace, with wisdom, and as “one who speaks the very words of God.”
(Sharon G. Tate blog 09/16/18) teacherforjesus.com Meditations on God’s Word
2 thoughts on ““Word(s) Fitly Spoken” with Grace and Wisdom from God”
I will pray this prayer with you: “Let us turn to the Creator of everything to know what to say and how to say it with thought, with grace, with wisdom, and as ‘one who speaks the very words of God’.” Being full of grace and wisdom from God seems like a perfect way to try to live on this earth. A worthy goal!
LikeLiked by 1 person